Friday, September 19, 2008

The Different Meanings of “Mukunda is Going to the Forest”

vanam eti mukunda ity ayaM dhvanir ekaH sphuTam uccacAra yaH |
vividha-dhvani-sUr bhavann abhAt zruti-pAlIH sa puraukasAM vizan ||

When someone called out, “Mukunda is going to the forest,” the same sound entered the ears of all the women within the houses but they heard it in different ways. (KRSNa-BhAvanAmRtam 7.25)

racayAli miSaM vizArade! jaratI-vaJcakam aJcakaM mudAm |
nibhRtena pathA bhaje vane priya-saGketita-kuJja-mandiram ||

When one sakhi heard that sound, she thought it meant, “O clever friend, you devise some ruse that will trick the old women and lead us to great joy. I’ll secretly go on the path to meet with my beloved in a cottage in the forest.” (KRSNa-BhAvanAmRtam 7.29)

sakhi! kiM karavai ravair avaidhita-tarSA hari-gopuroditaiH |
valabhIm adhiroDhum apy ahaM na dadhe’spanda-vapuH samarthatAm ||

Another sakhi said, “O friend, what am I to do? Hearing that Hari is at the city gate, I thirst uncontrollably to see him, but my body has become stunned and I’m unable to climb atop a building to look!” (KRSNa-BhAvanAmRtam 7.30)

alakair alam atra saMskRtair mad-uro’py astu tam Am anAvRtam |
sakRd apy avalokya mAdhavaM sakhi! jIveyam ito vimuJca mAm ||

Another said, “O friend! Enough of this dressing of my hair! Let my bosom remain uncovered! By seeing Madhava even once I can sustain my life, so let me go.” (KRSNa-BhAvanAmRtam 7.31)

ayi bhAvi yad astu tat patiH kurutAM daNDam asahyam adya me |
svaguror api pazyato vrajAmy adhunAyaM samayo na yat sthiraH ||

“Alas! Whatever my fortune is, let it be. Let my husband punish me severely and let my elders see what they will. Today, I shall go to Sri Krishna because this opportunity will not last forever.” (KRSNa-BhAvanAmRtam 7.32)

ayi durmukhi! rAraTISi kiM kim ihaikaiva niremi te gRhAt |
kalayAtra ruNaddhi kA vadhUr adhunA sva-sva-purAd viniryatIH ||

Another said, “O abusive one! Why are you yelling? Do you think I'm the only one leaving my house? Just look---is any other woman stopping her daughter-in-law from leaving home right now?” (KRSNa-BhAvanAmRtam 7.33)

No comments: